SKILL & EDUCATION FOR UNDERPRIVILEGED (SEFU)
सुबिधा बिहिनहरूका लागि सीप र शिक्षा
Motto: “Common Endeavour for social change and equitable society”
Skill and Eduction for Underprivileged (SEFU) is an entirely volunteer based non-governmental, non-profit making and social development organisation. The organisation is familiar among the people as SEFU. From the very beginning, the organisation has been working for the overall development of rural and needy people throughout the Kingdom and giving top priority to all underprivileged people. The organisation has equally given top priority for socio-economic enhancement of rural people especially the marginalized segment and taking into consideration the empowerment of rural women and low caste groups throughout the Kingdom. Downtrodden and underprivileged people are the major target groups of SEFU to introduce programme activities to enhance the livelihood of these people. Since its establishment, the organisation has been providing services in different sectors and social aspects. These are commonly enhancement of local skill and empowerment activities for underprivileged, health and sanitation, education at community level, poverty reduction, women empowerment, nature conservation and environment and forest management, non-formal education for women and adults. Skill and Eduction for Underprivileged (SEFU) is an entirely community based non-^governmental organisation and currently the organisation is working in different districts with heterogeneous communities through out the kingdom. Currently，we are working in Kavrepalanchok, Lalitpur, Rasuwa and Nuwakot of central development region, Lamjung, Kaski and Nawalparasi of western development region, Surkhet district of mid-westernn development region and Sunsari district of eastern development region with different people centred activities. SEFU has been gradually extending the areas of its services. After the historical people's movement of 1990 AD, and core achievement of restoration of multi-party democracy in Nepal, a new horizon has opened for tackling the issues of extreme poverty, environmental degradation, mass illiteracy and inertia which prevail in this poverty stricken country. This can be achieved through the tremendous efforts of NGO's and the important involvement and intiatives of the community people. This organisation seeks to channel creative energy of the people and tries to innovate ways for the emancipation of unjustly treated people of the society, reducing poverty and mass illiteracy.
Legal Status of the Organisation:
The organization is registered in the district administration office of
Lalitpur District under the Society Registration Act of 2034 of HMG Nepal,
and its registration no. is 32/1216/057/058. The organization has affiliation
with Social Welfare Council and the registration no. is 13452, and it has
affiliation to NGO Federation of Nepal too.
People desire to have something new but innovative development approach.
Sustainable development and social change can bring just and equitable
society where the priority have to give for underprivileged and marginalized
people and our common endeavour is to uplift those people who are suffering
from extreme poverty, lack of opportunity and social discrimination in
Socio-economic transformation of need based people through a sustainable
development approach and appropriate means.
Objective of the organization:
The main aim of the organization is to uplift socio-economically poor and
underprivileged people by empowering them. Besides this, the following
objectives will be set up to fulfill the above mentioned aims.
1. To launch income generation and result oriented programmes that can
support to uplift the living standard of poor, underprivileged and needy
2. To run programmes that can mitigate environmental degradation and help
improve environmental condition and forest management for sustainable development.
3. To introduce programmes that can assist in raising public awareness on various issues and voice against social exploitation and unjustice.
4. To introduce programmes that can helf safeguard and promote human rights,
democracy, good governance and gender equality etc.
5. To launch drinking water and sanitation programmes in the need felt
parts of the society.
6. To conduct the programmes that can help empower women and strengthen their capabilities.
7. To establish good relationships with different national and international
organization in the field of networking, information dissemination, human
resources development and management and also in project implementation
8. To introduce rural reconstruction and infrastructure development initiatives
through vocational and skill oriented trainings focussing on grass-root
9. To introduce core programmes on community education such as non-formal
education, community library and community training center (CLC).
10. To promote community health programme mainly focusing on grass-root
level, through different activities.
SEFU has a Three Dimensional Strategy:
1. To introduce programme activities and developmental efforts for marginalized and deprived people of our society.
2. Impart know-how and technical methodology which sufficiently introduces
local technology and skills to build a skillful and dynaic workforce focussing
on people of rural and need-based areas.
3. To raise strong voice against social injustice and social discrimination
and introduce an awareness raising campaign and advocate at the grass-roots,
national and international levels on the causes of poverty, which is a
pervasive problem of social transformation and the right to human dignity.
Financial Sources of SEFU:
The major financial sources of Skill and Eduction for Underprivileged (SEFU)
are as follows:
1. Membership fees of organizational members,
2. Grants and financial contributions from different level and sector like
national, international and bilateral donors,
3. Financial contributions of members,
4. Fund raising programme and people's contribution and grants and financial assistance of the government.
Programme Activities as addressed: From the very beginning of this organization, SEFU has given top priority to socio-economic development of common people of our society. The following are the core programme activities addressed to reduce poverty, social inequality and mass illiteracy of rural community.
1) Skill Development and Non-Formal Education Programme:
The organization has been conducting various skill-oriented training at
different lcations like Khokana, Badikhel, Dukuchap, Bungmati, Sunakothi
and Chapataon of Lalitpur district in order to impart basic vocational
education and related activities to the illiterate youth group. Through
different training packages on plumbing, basic house wiring, bamboo goods,
a huge mass of young people have gotten direct benefit. Non-formal education
programme is also th emost priority based programme activity of SEFU. From
the very beginning of this organization, we have conducted non-formal education
programme on continuous manner. The organization has been conducting non-formal
education programs for women children and adult groups. Upto now, more
than six hundreds women children and adult people had became literacy graduate
through non-formal education programme. The NEF programme was successively
conducted at Chapagaon, Bungmati, Dukuchap, Badikhel, Champi and Khokana
communities. Child Education Programme for Pre-School Children was also
conducted at Bungmati and Dukuchhap communities of our project location.
More than 100 children had direct benefit of this programme.
2) Community Learning Center:
Community Learning Centre is just established at small hamlet of Khoincha
of Lalitpur in 2057 BS. through active and worthwhile initiation of the
organization. This Community Learning Centre has been operating in an integrated
manner in order to provide an education facility and other community needs.
Skill Training and Community Library is also another innovative programme
and acquires sound feature of this Learning Centre.
3) People Empowerment and Advocacy Programme:
The organization has been involved in a comprehensive manner in introducing program activities to improve the socio-economic status of marginalized people. Empowerment of people and advocacy on common social issues has been initiated in order to strengthen the capacity of these people to face new social challenges. Legal education, awareness raising programs, programs on human rights protection and democracy are the core programme activities so far conducted and will be continued.
4) Training / Seminar & Capacity build-up Programme:
In order to build a capable and result-oriented workforce for the organization
and assist to other local NGO's, our organization has been introducing
various training sessions, workshop and seminars on relevant issues at
different tie intervals.
5) Awareness Raising Programme:
The organization has given top priority in awareness raising sector. Various
awareness raising activities have been conducted so far in order to impart
the ideas and aspects of social transformation and role of community people.
This is because the awareness of people brings about the success of social
6) National Reading Campaign:
The programme on national reading campaign is being introduced on continous manner through the initiatives of our organisation with having collaborative supports of other non-governmental / social organization specially working in the field of non-formal education. The prime objective of this programme is disseminating information throughout everynoon and cornor of our society about the importance of education and right of education to children. The major programme activities on the day are as follows-- i. Beginning of non-formal education programme. ii. Inter-school competition on various categories amongst the student of age 8-14.
7) Establishment and operation of “Community Children's library”: Our organization has just introduced child focused programme for promoting children's behaviour and gradual extending education systems is terms of creativeness. In order to fulfill the objective of “Educational for All” and mode of creative learning at school and disseminating importance of eduction at community level, we have recently established “Community Children's Library” at Narayanbhawan, Jawalakhel. It is planned to introduce this children library with unique feature of serviced ad to fulfill the persuit of learning at this library for the children of age group 8-15. As per need and genuine reality of the prevailing situation, our organization has taken sincere concerns to establish community library at different location, basically in rural and remote areas.
8) Community Environment & Sanitation Programme: This is also remarkable programme activity of SEFU in order to enhancing the community environment and help improve sanitation condition of the community. Different activities have been introducing with having generous participation of local people and other stakeholders and the major activities are construction of public toilet at Bungmati VDC ward no. 3,5,9, construction of reservoir tank for easy access of drinking water to the local inhabitants, rennovation work of traditional Kuwa of Khoincha and plantation and greenary works at Bungmati community. Besides these activities, different awareness related activities focusing on people's sensitisation in the sense of environment conservation and sanitation through local initiatives are being launches.
Future Programme of SEFU:
1) Micro – credit programmes for sustainable economic advancement of poor
and needy people.
2) Integrated rural development programme to uplift socio-economically deprived and marginalized people of our society.
3) Nature conservation and environment improvement programs for ecological
balance and equitable development.
4) Rural reconstruction and infrastructure development initiative through
vocational and enpolyment oriented trainings.
5) People's empowerment program for the comprehensive socioeconomic development of people from backward societies.
6) Networking, advocacy and awareness raising programs. Dissemination of
information on different aspects and dimensions of development with different
aspects and dimensions of development with different stakeholders and organizations.
7) Disaster mitigation and preparedness and nature conservation programs.
8) Non-formal education programme for illiterate groups of our society giving priority to enhancing our government's efforts to eliminate illiteracy from our country.
Working pattern of SEFU: SEFU has given priority to follow the working pattern as below: - People
centered development approach, - Sustainable development approach, - Integrated
and holistic approach, - Equitable and just society, - Local level development
Mr. Sudha Lall Mulmi - President
Mr. Yogendra Gopal Vaidya - Secretary
Mr. Kaji Ratna Shakya - Treasurer
Mr. Nepal Dangol - Member
Mr. Manohar karki - Member
Mr. Ramesh Adhikari - Member
Ms. Suryabati Dangol - Member
Ms. Umeshwori Shrestha - Member
Mr. Madhusudan Shrestha - Member
For further information: Skill and Education for Underprivileged (SEFU)
P.O. Box : 1736, Kathmandu Phone : 977-1-5532285 977-1-5538954 (Contact) Fax : 977-1-5540569 E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org