Bagmati Sewa Samiti (BSS) is a not-for-profit, not-governmental organization, promoting environmental awareness as well as preserving the traditional cultures of Kathmandu Valley. In 1980, under the pioneership of a very prominent social worker late Kavi Raj Siddha Gopal Vaidya, who inspired by Mahatma Gandhi, along with a couple of other prominent social workers, BBS, was founded. BSS had been established in Lalitpur, Shankhamool and registered under NGO Registration Act 2034 of Government of Nepal with registration No. 202 / 048 / 049. BBS was established in recognition of the pressing need to provide accurate actionable information about our deteriorating environment of Bagmati River and its effect on human health to opinion leaders and concerned citizens around the world.
1. Plantation of trees all over the bank of Bagmati River in Kathmandu
2. The restoration of the Bagmati River accepting as the standard boundaries
as had been in BS 2020 (1960).
3. As the sand excavation, sewerage drainage into the Bagmati River, dumping the Garbage and the encroachment of the river bank are four major cause of Bagmati's ailment, we would try to discourage all such activities with every possible means.
4. There are several individuals and organizations which are engaged with
the prime motive to save the Bagmati River. BSS would try to coordinate
with such individuals and organizations and work together to achieve the
novel goal of the preservation of our holy Bagmati River.
5. To coordinate the work of all responsible institutions of development
and preservations like Guthi Sansthan, Department of Archeology, Municipalities
to save the temples, Pauwa and Patis. (Ritual Buildings) To activate the
possibilities of creating interest of different Donar Agencies and INGOs
6. To mobilize the internal resources of local people to save the collapsing monuments and bringing such public properties back for social uses like Library, Community Hall, Prayers Hall etc.
7. To introduce awareness raising program to the local people, creation
of a strong pressure group, lobbying in political parties etc. to achieve
our mentioned and declared goals and objectives.
8. Our another major objectives had been the Social Service, under which
we define our goals as following.
The main goal and objective has been very vast and complicated. Therefore
the humble start would be made from Shankhamool Ghat in Lalitpur, where
its registered office has been located.
(a) To mange the cleanliness of Shankhamool Ghat Periphery.
(b) Shankhamool Ghat is most important crematory spot in Kathmandu Valley. People believe that all dead bodies there cremated would get MUKTI/ MOKSCHAYA. Therefore a lot of people are brought here for cremation. BSS planned and managed a 24 hour 365 days service needed to the funeral party with all the necessary equipments from fuel to water, from Sindur Tika to flower.
(c) The Restoration, Reconstruction and socialization of the Pati, Pauwas
temples Stupas etc. situating in Ghats. The socialized buildings would
be used as public Library, Prayers Hall, Community Meeting Hall, Ayurvedic
Medical Dispensaries etc.
(d) Free Ayurvedic Medical Treatment to the poor and desperate people.
(e) Tree Plantation in River bank
In Our early stage BSS has been very much confined just in Social Services of local level. But in last few years, we made remarkable progress. Alone in last five years, we have renovated and constructed the monuments and Patis (the community buildings for various purposes) nearly for about 8 Million Rupees. A big awareness Program had been lunched in Shankhamool Ghats, Lalitpur in August 2007, where more than 10,000 Participants had been registered. A great hope and Enthusiasm had been observed from old and young alike. In short, we can summaries our main activities in this direction as following. Constructions Renovations and social program for Rs. 8 Million
1) Renovation of 4 Religious and Ritual Buildings
2) Construction of a modern Bathroom
3) Construction of 2 Temples
4) Two green public parks had been constructed
5) Renovations of several community and ritual buildings
6) Organization of several public meetings to activate general people about the need of Bagmati River and its impact on our general health and environment
7) Regular delegations to the concerned departments and municipalities
to give updated situation of Bagmati River and public expectations.
8) Hosting Bagmati Festival Rafting Program every year.
9) 24 hour regular funeral rite Service in all 365 days in Shankhamool Ghat , Lalitpur.
10) Free Ayurmedical Treatment to the desperate and needed people.
Project Plan for the F/Y 2008:(With 1 million rupees budgets)
1. Arranging a meeting with local youth clubs once a month and discuss about the Bagmati River problem, its ecological, economical, social and cultural impact through the use of modern Audio Video and slide show programs.
2. Survey and Research of the Bagmati River and the authentification of
original Bagmati shape.
3. To build a strong pressure group to make all political parties and all
concerned authorities attentive to this problem.
4. Organizing Photo Show and Exhibitions etc. in every 6 months.
5. Organizing the Interaction Program with different organizations about
Bagmati Problem in every 4 months.
6. Printing of different booklets etc. concerning to ecology, focusing
in Bagmati River.
7. Hosting Bagmati Mahotsav and Bagmati rafting groups in 2008.
8. Planning a big but peaceful protest rally of general people to draw
the attention to the plight of Bagmati River
Project 2007/08 Construction, Renovation and Restorations has projected
cost Rs. 5 million. In this year we plan to construct and socialize 4 Patis
(Community Buildings). After the reconstruction, we plan to make one Pati
as Ausadhalaya(Medicine Distribution Center). The second one will be used
as a community Library. The third one will serve as a permanent Photo Gallery
concerned to Bagmati River and ecology and health .And with the fourth
one, it has been planned to make Kiriyaputri Bhawan (the after death rituals
room for the relatives of deceased).
The total cost would be about Rs 5 million, 20% of which would be raised from local people, 20% from the local authorities and 5% from social forums like Rotary Club, Jaycees etc. And the rest are expected to be raised from various INGOS, International Agencies etc.
Any suggestions are heartily welcome. And help in any form are most welcome.
BSS Slogan • Stop the excavation of sand!
• Stop the encroachment of River Bank!
• Stop using our holy river as the Dumping site of Garbage!
• Stop draining the sewerage to our Holy River!
• Instead, plant trees in both side of river Bank and make parks stretched all over the 27 mile stretches of Bagmati River Bank!
• We dream of our children playing in the riverside parks!
• We dream of seeing the fishes swimming in Bagmati River!
• We dream of the sand beaches in the river bank as it had been just a couple of decades before!
• We dream of seeing our seniors relaxing in Bagmati River Bank Benches!
• We dream of our youngsters running Marathon in the both sides of the
green Bagmati River!
• And we dream to see our Kathmandu Valley green and healthy! Help us!
For further information:
Bagmati Sewa Samiti Shankhamool Ghat, Lalitpur, Nepal.